Monday, May 12, 2014

Visit - Café la Cave

(Des Plaines, IL)

To celebrate my 21st birthday, my fiance (at the time boyfriend) treated me to a delicious meal at Café la Cave. I have been hooked ever since.

Café la Cave is a more formal place to eat with a cave-like dining atmosphere. It is a family-owned business right next to O'Hare. They have an extremely attentive and friendly staff - and their food is amazing.

We will start off with the starters/appetizers. Now, personally, I have had escargot and oysters and I don't like them just because of the texture. I do try everything anyway so I can appreciate the flavor, but I simply do not care for their textures and refrain from eating them (but I do try them first). The escargot and oysters are delicious. Save the escargot plate and enjoy the butter sauce with some table bread! :) The "Oysters on the Half Shell" are also quite delicous - and even though I couldn't stomach the actual oyster, my fiance ate that as I tried a crunchier bit with some of the sauce. *amazing*

Next up is the soup and salad. I have never had a better French Onion soup than the one they serve here. The bread at the bottom, the crunchy cheese on top, the soup brothy while still being the perfect amount of chunky. Delicious.
The Caesar Salad served there is the best I have ever had. The wedge is pretty dang good, too. :)

Entrees
If you like steak, the first thing you have to try -and get spoiled with- is their "Steak Diane." Steak Diane is made with tenderloin medallions - gently sauteed with garlic, shallots and mushrooms - finished off with cognac. Get the garlic mashed potatoes to go with. Just trust me - the sauce and the potatoes is heavenly. (Picture below is of the Steak Diane.)



If you are more of a seafood lover, and it just so happens to be on the specials menu, get the "Seafood Bake." It is the most amazing seafood dish I have ever had. I don't remember how they described it, but it had mashed potatoes along the outside of the circular dish, shrimp and scallops and more with a cream sauce inside - all baked so the mashed potatoes had some golden brown tips.... oh, man, I was in heaven when I had this dish.

If the Seafood Bake is not on the specials - get the Atlantic Salmon off their menu. It is pan-seared and served with braised spinach and a champagne-tarragon sauce that is so smooth and delicious you will want to savor every bite. (Picture below is of the Atlantic Salmon.)


Save room for dessert!
Their Bananas Foster is served tableside and is astounding. The Créme Brulee, if you like Créme Brulee, is the best I have had. Silky yet firm texture and the perfect amount of crunchy sugar on top. Raspberries too, to top it all off. Delicious. (Top picture is the Créme Brulee, the bottom is the Bananas Foster.)




Café la Cave is also the place I learned I love cognac. My favorite one at the moment is the Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac, which I like to enjoy -at least one- with each visit. :) They also make a very delicious White Russian.

The best part is that if you haven't yet gotten to try this wonderful restaurant, they do a lot of Groupon supporting and that is an excellent way to try it out!

Cafe la Cave - For their website, click here! :)

Signing off for now!
-Moni

No comments:

Post a Comment